1.26.2013

Try, Try, Try Again.

I realize that I've said this several times over the years, but I'm going to try to be back here more often. And by more often I think I mean... maybe once a month would be nice?

A lot has changed in the three and a half years since I originally conceived of starting this blog. I'm older, for one. The adorable kitten I mentioned in my first, tentative, slightly melodramatic post is now a fully grown, slightly pudgy, diva of a cat who, like most cats, wants her dinner now-god-dammit, even if now is only five minutes after breakfast. That initial post, and several others like it, is now hidden in draft mode, because I need to decide if I think that I want to show the full history of aborted and half-hearted attempts to start and finish something for once, please, just once in my life. I got fired from my miserable job in food service, which wasn't much of a loss but still threw me for an incredible loop because, when the day was done, I didn't know who I was without that place. I spent twelve months unemployed, trying to fight my own anxiety and ADD to get in applications, get through interviews, and finally get the job I'm in right now - a job where I feel appreciated, and occasionally even needed, and where I am valued. Where I work 35 hour weeks standard, and don't have to spend all of my time wondering whether it will be a 45 hour or 80 hour week this month. I finally have the structure I'd always been searching for, and I'm taking advantage of it to build myself a schedule that allows me to actually take care of myself for the first time in... well, probably ever.

Some things haven't really changed much. I still have a tendency to make stock, forget to freeze it, and remember it two months later, when I clean out my section of the fridge. I had nine kinds of cheese in there this morning, too. Actually, I probably could have done a whole "12 Days of Cooking" out of the contents of my refrigerator - and don't think I haven't thought about it. My bedroom is still a mess, mostly because I have more stuff than I can really fit in it. I still fill my car with trash roughly once every two weeks, and I still fail to complete most of the projects that I start.

I'm more mature than I was then. Possibly wiser. Definitely have a more realistic sense of direction to my life than I did in those first, fumbling posts (more on that later, I'm sure) back at what seems like the appallingly young age of 24. I have no idea whether the title and URL I chose back then will have any meaning in the life I'm currently living, but given that I will probably only be able to post on weekends there's always the possibility of relevance. Whether I've reached a point where I can consistently update a blog remains to be seen... but let's try, shall we?

(Hoping to get another post out this weekend. We'll see how that goes. But welcome back, Internets. I've missed you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment